EDEN Annual Conference – Registration opens 15 May
EDEN 2021 Virtual Annual Conference – UNED-Madrid
Registration Opens on 15 May!
“Lessons from a pandemic for the future of education”
Dear Members, Partners and Friends,
EDEN is glad to announce that the registration for the EDEN Virtual Annual Conference, hosted by the National Distance Education University UNED (pictured above) will be opened on 15 May, 2021.
With eleven acclaimed keynotes (so far), special and highly informative Conference Sessions (including a keynote presentation on the Digital Education Action Plan 2021-2027 adopted by the European Commission in late 2020 and an EDEN 30th Anniversary discussion of former EDEN Presidents), a PhD Symposium led by international experts as well as bestowing the Young Scholars’ Grants in cooperation with the Ulrich Bernath Foundation, we await your contributions as well as participation. The evaluation of the submitted contributions is continuous, the Call remains open until 17 May, based on a revised Synergy Concept elaborated below.
For project ideas: if you have an exciting project idea to develop, you will be able to present and discuss your idea by submitting a short description of an emerging project, even if not accepted yet. Please submit your initiative in the synergy template field.
For granted projects: EDEN partners, project- and associate partners are still warmly welcome to present ongoing, funded projects by submitting a brief description of the background and objectives. Please submit your initiative in the synergy template field.
All granted project synergy submissions accepted by the Conference Committee will be published in the conference Short Paper Book. The presenters will be able to reach around 300 experts in the field during the conference and more than 12.000 experts via promotion through EDEN channels.
Special Conference Sessions
- Digital Education Action Plan and the Experience of the EU Education and Training DELTA working group (Sandra Kučina Softić)
- R4C – Reflecting4Change: Way to make your school e-mature and open: the benefits of using the R4C Self Reflection Tool and implement changes built around the results – project coordinated by Ellinogermaniki Agogi (Ferenc Tátrai and Sofoklis Sotiriou)
- Leveraging University Micro-Credentials: Critical Issues, Practices and Policies for Enhancing Institutional and Employer Capacity (Don Olcott, Mark Brown, Deborah Arnold, Rory McGreal, Mpine Makoe and Timothy Martin Read)
- EDEN Network of Academics and Professionals and EDEN Fellows Council (Vlad Mihaescu and Lisa Marie Blaschke)
- The EDEN European Journal – EURODL: with new Chief Editor, new online platform and services in 2021 (Wim van Petegem and Josep Duart)
- EDEN 30th anniversary: lessons from the past and perspectives for the future – Think tank experience (Ulf Daniel Ehlers)
- After the Brexit – EDEN Digital Learning Europe Association (Andras Szucs)
- Alejandro Tiana Ferrer, Secretary of State for Education in Spain
- Angeles Sanchez Elvira Paniagua, Director of the UNESCO Chair in Distance Education, UNED, Spain
- Antonio Teixeira, Professor of Education and Distance Learning at Universidade Aberta, Portugal
- Covadonga Rodrigo, Chair of the Digital Inclusion Lab, UNED, Spain
- Darcy Hardy, Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs, North America Higher Education, Blackboard Inc.
- Diana Laurillard, Pro-Vice Chancellor for Learning Technologies, University College London, United Kingdom
- Francesc Pedro, Director of the UNESCO Institute for Higher Education in Latin America and the Caribbean
- Georgi Dimitrov, Head of Digital Education, European Commission
- Mark Brown, Director of the National Institute for Digital Learning, Dublin City University, Ireland
- Mark Nichols, Executive Director, Learning Design & Development, Open Polytechnic of New Zealand
- Ulf-Daniel Ehlers, Professor for Educational Management and Lifelong Learning, Baden-Wuerttemberg Cooperative State University, Germany
PhD Symposium Madrid
The EDEN 2021 PhD Symposium Madrid will be organized on 21 June 2021, in the frame of the conference. The Symposium, held in previous years in Barcelona (2018), Bruges (2019), Dublin (2019), Timisoara (2020), Lisbon (2020) has been designed to foster the exchange of experiences and knowledge among doctoral students doing research in the area of technology enhanced online, digital, open and distance learning, providing a valuable forum for the advancement of doctoral research. The Symposium is led by a panel of international experts. Check more information about EDEN PhD Symposium here.
You can find the Call for presentations, the Committee members and submit your paper here.
Young Scholars Grants
The Ulrich Bernath Foundation for Research in Open and Distance Learning will support 4 young scholars or teams of young scholars with a grant of 300 Euros for submitting a significant contribution (Full paper) to the EDEN Annual Conference.Eligible for the Young Scholars Grants are degree-programme and doctoral students, who individually or in teams submit original research papers to the EDEN Annual Conference in Madrid. The paper will be presented by young scholar(s). Team work with senior scholars are accepted, however it must be declared that the major part of the paper has been authored by young scholar(s).
Young scholars who apply for the grant will take part in the EDEN Best Research Paper Award competition, which is based on evaluation results that follow five standard evaluation criteria: (i)The paper deals with a research question; (ii) rigorous examination/research methods are applied; (iii) findings, results and outcomes are convincingly presented and critically examined; (iv) conclusions are thoroughly discussed (including aspects like applicability, transferability, and further research; (v) literature is reviewed against the state of art.
The grants will be handed out by bank transfer after the EDEN Annual Conference in Madrid. Eligible candidates are invited to contact the organisers at: firstname.lastname@example.org before submitting their Full Paper.
EDEN 30th Anniversary Updates
In 2021 EDEN is celebrating its 30th Anniversary. We look forward to sharing the pleasure of this special year with our members, partners and friends. Please read the blog post of EDEN President Sandra Kučina Softić reflecting on this special occasion. Read here.
The official EDEN30 website has been set up and announced already. Nevertheless, the webpage is continuously enriched and upgraded, extended with substantial, meaningful content (history, projects, events, awards, photo galleries, member testimonials etc.), including your warmly welcomed input to show the real power of our community and its 30 years of history.
Share your story!
Do you have an inspiring story of EDEN to tell? We invite all of you to send, upload, share your memories, experiences, memorable moments, including your reflections, comments and ideas to EDEN throughout the anniversary year on the EDEN30 website. You can upload your story and/or photo HERE.